The City of Monroe values the youth in our community. The purpose of the Youth in Government program is to create a model of youth empowerment within Monroe through direct participation in local government. The overall goal is to bring the youth voice to community issues and concerns while fostering the development of confident, independent, and motivated youth leaders.
The Monroe City Council warmly offers its guidance to all YIG youth and leaders, and extends its wish of success to all participants.
The City of Monroe invites eligible youth to apply for youth seats on City of Monroe committees. Youth terms will run from September – May. Youth will have an advisory vote on the committees on which they serve. Support and mentorship will be provided to youth in order to make this the best learning experience possible.
- Youth will apply in the spring semester of their 8th grade, freshman, sophomore, or junior year of high school.
- Youth must have a grade point average of 2.5 or greater on a 4.0 scale.
- Youth must either attend the Monroe School District or be a City of Monroe resident.
- Youth must commit to attending a mandatory YIG orientation prior to taking the Oath of Office.
YOUTH IN GOVERNMENT NOMINATION, APPLICATION & ORIENTATION PROCESS
Nomination period open: Monday, February 12, 2018
Nomination Deadline: Thursday, March 1, 2018
Youth who are nominated will receive an invitation to apply for the program. (Youth are welcome to self-nominate as well.)
2018-2019 Monroe YIG Nomination Form – fillable
Application period open: Monday, March 5, 2018
Application Deadline: Friday, March 23, 2018
Applicants will be notified of their interview date and time once the application period ends.
Once interviews are completed, youth will be notified if they have been accepted into the program or not.
Monroe City Council Meeting/Approval of Incoming Youth: Tuesday, May 1, 2018, Monroe West Side Fire Station #1 (optional but strongly encouraged)
- Monday, August 20, 2018, 8:30-11:30am, Green County Historic Courthouse on the Square, Monroe
- Tuesday, August 21, 2018, 9:00-11:00am, Monroe West Side Fire Station #1
Monroe City Council Meeting/Swearing In Ceremony: Tuesday, September 4, 2018, Monroe West Side Fire Station #1
The City of Monroe’s Youth in Government program is guided by the framework laid out in the City of Monroe YIG Handbook 2016.
This program is made possible through a partnership between the City of Monroe, the Monroe School District, and Green County UW-Extension.
Community Resource Development Educator
608-328-9440 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
4-H Youth Development Educator
608-328-9440 Email: email@example.com